Job Announcement: Executive Assistant
The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina (ACLU-NC) seeks a dynamic team player to fill the position of Executive Assistant to the Executive Director. This position requires the ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound independent judgment, attend closely to details, and take initiative. The Executive Assistant will report directly to the Executive Director.
The ACLU-NC, the state-wide affiliate of the national ACLU, is a nonpartisan public interest organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights for all North Carolinians. Our offices are located in Raleigh, NC. We maintain a fast-paced, but low key and friendly work environment. We are a growing organization, currently with 12 regular staff members.
Provide high-level administrative support to the Executive Director and the administrative corps of directors – Director of Philanthropy and Director of Operations. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the substantive work of the Executive Director as needed and appropriate.
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and the Board Nominating Committee.
- Track and respond to communications (telephone calls, mail, and email) to the Executive Director.
- Maintain and update Executive Director's calendar and contacts; coordinate Executive Director's business travel arrangements.
- Work with Director of Philanthropy to coordinate Executive Director's meetings with donors and provide support for such meetings as needed.
- Assist Director of Philanthropy in maintaining donor files and records, and in managing correspondence.
- Work with the Director of Operations in maintaining accounts payable records, processing payments, and entering deposits.
- Purchase office equipment and supplies, and manage stockrooms.
- Coordinate Board and Staff meetings in cooperation with the Director of Operations.
- Maintain administrative files and documentation (both paper and electronic) in an organized, accessible and confidential manner.
- Provide phone support for the main telephone line as needed and appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Personal commitment to advancing the ACLU's values, mission, goals and programs.
- The ability to maintain absolute confidentiality, exercise sound independent judgment, and pay close attention to detail; exhibit high levels of integrity, discretion and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and respectfully with staff, board members, volunteers, and the general public. Skilled in communicating both orally and in writing.
- Flexible and collaborative with ability to build effective working relationships inside and outside the organization.
- Excellent computer and clerical skills including word processing, spreadsheets, database content management, filing and other administrative skills.
- A self-starter and a finisher with the ability to meet deadlines. Demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to work creatively with good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop and execute effective organizational strategies.
- Cross-cultural competency with a commitment to diversity; ability to work in an environment that respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances.
- At least two years of relevant work experience.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, composed under pressure, with a highly developed sense of humor assuring perspective and balance.
- Ability to work on occasional evenings, with prior notice.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary range is $38,00 to $44,000, DOE. Excellent benefits offered, including health insurance plan; 401(k) retirement plan; sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Applicants will be reviewed beginning the week of February 13, 2017, and will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU-NC is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture.The ACLU-NC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.